Tuesday 13 August 2013

In the beginning ...

This blog is about giving some insight into what its like to have just published my first novel The Actor (very exciting!) and learning how to market and promote The Actor from the ground up. It's about writing the next book that happens to be a follow-up to The Actor.  And it's about all the things that happen in between from publishing short stories @Kindle Singles and what books I'm reading to where I'm playing golf and what puzzle I'm trying to solve to what movies I've watched and what music I'm listening to and so on and so for.
Over the past two months, my daily writing output has risen from two pages to four pages (still not at the rate of the King, Mr. Stephen (one of the first to inspire me to write). I like to write in the morning when I first get up. I try for a page or two before taking Chip for a walk. I won't go to bed until those four pages are complete.
I've been spending a lot of time catching up and learning the social media world which I simply have not been part of since its inception. I started with @LinkedIn just because I got onto it first and it served me well in connecting with many from my previous business associations. @Facebook was next which I only recently took over from my son in posting updates to the newsfeed and my page. Updates have included two radio interviews, a book launch and a newspaper article. Also, books I've read, movies I've seen and music I like. Today I opened a @Twitter account @gardhamdouglas and started The Actor blog (but you've got to keeping writing mr. gardham).
I've also come full circle on doing author signings which in the beginning I wasn't going to do but was convinced by an Indigo manager who simply said "where else can you spend a couple of hours and sell a couple of books"? I didn't have answer, never mind a good one. I'm booked for seven signings at this point with several more in the works.
I wasn't going to buy The Actor to sell myself but so many people wanted "author signed" copies that it didn't leave me much choice. My trunk is now full and I'm on my second order.
Enough for my first blog posting on The Actor. It's time to get back to what's it all about. The story that must be told ...

No comments:

Post a Comment